[Proposal] Aurora Community Grant for Marma J Foundation’s MARMA J CON (Jan. 7-12)
- Guild, community, project name; Marma J Foundation, MARMA J CON
- Region, country (for statistics), a number of members in your guild, community, or project;
Toronto, Canada; 7 event planners for MARMA J CON, MarmaJ DAO is comprised of 8 Sub-DAOs and is the 3rd most active DAO on AstroDAO
- Links on social media and how many members in the social media;
Allie Eve Knox: 56.1K
- Please, introduce yourself and your teammates;
The Marma J Foundation’s mission is to leverage Web3 tech for social good. We carry out our mission by providing tools, resources, and education to community members about how to interact with decentralized applications. We are applying for an Aurora grant to promote a collaborative multi-chain future between the NEAR and Ethereum technologies and communities. As an investor in Aurora as well, the Marma J Foundation and DAO are closely interested in the success of Aurora and the wider NEAR ecosystem.
The MARMA J CON team is led by former NEAR Foundation employees (Chloe Lewis, Rebecca Hallquist, and Nicole Tay) and active NEAR ecosystem members. We are proudly a global team identifying as womxn, POC, queer, and trans–united in our efforts towards grassroots education and innovation. Our experience specializes in Web3 development (Chloe, Chluff), DAOs (Monish, Tabea), Web3 Marketing and Branding (Bianca, Katie, Nicole), and Community building (Rebecca, Allie).
- Funding scheme: Monthly / Quarterly / KPI-based / One-time;
One time: $10,000 USD worth of $AURORA tokens
- Proposal summary, be sure to include:
What problem is the proposal solving? In recent years, the Web3 industry has been moving away from the US and Europe, instead flocking to geographies with crypto-friendly legislation. While it’s amazing to have new friends in Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, Portugal, and Mexico, there have been minimal efforts to activate and empower these locals with Web3 technology. The growing digital divide from Web2 continues into Web3, threatening the foundational potential of decentralized tech to truly decentralize power.
We have the opportunity to set a new example in Antigua. As an Antiguan, Marma J Foundation co-founder Chloe Lewis has been working closely with the Antiguan community for years to educate about decentralized technology. Two years ago, the Antiguan and Barbuda government passed the Digital Assets Bill of 2020, spearheaded by Senator Aziza Lake. Today, Antigua is colloquially known as “the most crypto-friendly island in the Caribbean.” The bill gives Web3 startups a tax-friendly means to build and grow their businesses. By building in community with local Antiguans to meet them where they are, Marma J Foundation aims to show the Web3 community and world that grassroots activism is the heart of decentralization.
How is the problem being solved? Marma J Foundation is hosting MARMA J CON, the inaugural annual conference and hackathon in Antigua Jan 7-12, 2023. Unique to our programming, we are focused on building and learning in the community with local Antiguans. We believe that decentralized technology should empower local leaders to decide how best to adopt this emerging tech to solve local problems. Therefore, our programming reflects both our effort to educate Web2 Antiguan professionals about Web3 as well as our intention to learn from Antiguans about their needs and pain points. Lastly, we are proud to be joined by Antiguan Senator Aziza Lake as a speaker and guest of honour.
We aim to make Antigua the next great crypto hub where innovation thrives not only from Web3 transplants but also from Antiguan locals.
Expected impact and value for the Aurora community;
As a $10K sponsor of MARMA J CON, the Aurora community can expect to benefit from the following:
- Premiere brand presence at a social impact hackathon with top, hand-picked devs from the NEAR and Ethereum ecosystems
- $2500 bounty for hackers to incorporate Aurora in their builds (We have devs on the ground for support so no Aurora support is needed in-person, unless desired)
- Position Aurora as a leader in grassroots organizing and dreaming to shape Web3 adoption locally in Antigua
- (if desired) Table, speaking slot, and 3 VIP passes
- Inclusion of focus of hacking on Aurora as part of the established hackathon challenge to be hosted by the Marma J Gaming DAO involving bringing the Fighting Pixies game to Aurora, with the potential of making this a project the Marma J DAO supports in 2023 & of bringing more robust gaming opportunities to Aurora (ideal for Web3 onboarding & adoption!)
Metrics/KPIs to track results.
- Targeting 50-100 in-person participants (up to 250)
- Achieving 500 on-chain Marma J Research DAO members (AstroDAO “member” role)
- The official launch of all 8 Sub-DAOs of the Marma J ecosystem
- 1,000+ Mintbase contract interactions (marmajevents.mintbase1.near) as tracked through Pagoda Dev Console
Links to similar proposals on the forum (if applicable);
Note: Getting rewards can take up to 4 or more weeks. Please plan your proposals and funding requests.
- Funding Details
Total requested amount in USD; $10,000
NEAR Wallet ID: marmaj.sputnik-dao.near
Email Address: email@example.com